Friday, January 28th | 27 Shevat 5782

Subscribe
December 24, 2021 1:08 pm
0

Pro-Palestinian Artists Withdraw From Sydney Festival Over Israeli Sponsorship Deal

avatar by Shiryn Ghermezian

A view of Sydney, Australia. Photo: Reuters/David Gray.

A coalition of pro-Palestinian artists and others have withdrawn their participation from the 2022 Sydney Festival, and are calling for a boycott of the event over its ties to Israel.

The 2022 Sydney Festival — set to run on Jan. 6-30 — signed a $20,000 “Star Partner” sponsorship agreement with the Israeli Embassy in Canberra, which supports the festival’s scheduled performance by the Sydney Dance Company of a work called “Decadence” by Israeli choreographer Ohad Naharin.

Naharin said in 2019 that he supports the efforts of the boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) campaign, which aims to isolate Israel internationally. Yet he maintained in 2016 that such boycotts are “essentially useless” and there are better ways to advance the Palestinian cause.

The Palestine Justice Movement Sydney stated on Wednesday that the South Asian dance company Bindi Bosses, the Arab Theatre Studio, the Arabic music ensemble Dandana, and journalist Amy McQuire have pulled out of the festival due to its partnership with the Israeli embassy. Writer Michael Mohammed Ahmad rejected an opportunity to join the festival’s board, the group further claimed, while artist Khaled Sabsabi, rapper Barkaa, and comedian Nazeem Hussain have also withdrawn from the event.

Related coverage

January 28, 2022 1:42 pm

Barnes & Nobles Removes From Website Copies of Notorious Antisemitic Text Claiming Jews Seek World Domination

The Barnes & Nobles bookseller removed from its website earlier this week copies of an infamous antisemitic text that falsely...

“By partnering with Israel, Sydney Festival will be complicit in Israel’s strategy to art-wash its crimes, and will contribute to the normalization of an apartheid state,” said the Palestine Justice Movement Sydney, which urged other participants and members of the public to boycott the event.

In an open letter co-written by Ahmad and published on Thursday, seven artists and writers accused the festival of “creating a culturally unsafe environment for Arab artists and audiences who want to be part of the festival but who now cannot, in good conscience, participate as they bear witness to the slaughter, occupation and oppression of Palestinians.”

In a statement provided to The Guardian on Thursday, a festival spokesperson said it will not terminate its agreement with the Israeli embassy. The statement said, “The festival is unwavering in its commitment to ensuring a culturally safe space for all artists, employees and audiences. [The festival] will be reviewing all funding arrangements with embassies and cultural organizations to ensure that any continuance of these partnerships are compatible with maintaining a welcoming and culturally safe environment moving forward.”

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.